Photobucket

Monday, December 17, 2012

healthy holiday tips!


As we're diving deeper into the holiday season, I constantly have to remind myself of my health goals. I went to Publix recently and the cashier commented about how healthy I was eating (which was a nice compliment)... but then she said, "don't you know Christmas is soon?" Of course I do! But that doesn't mean I have to let myself go and forgo the wonderful vegetables that I so love. So I decided to post some holiday tips that I'll be living by this winter break (and by posting them, that means I'm accountable, right...?) You might have heard some of these before but reinforcement always helps!

1. Chose smaller plates. I love this mind trick. If you put all of your food on a smaller plate, it looks like you have so. much. food. I use salad plates almost all the time and I always feel like I'm eating a ton when I'm really just eating my portion size. If you're going to a party or even having a family dinner, don't hesitate to ask for a smaller plate.

2. Actually put your food ON a plate. When I'm standing around an appetizer table, grabbing one (or two) of everything, I don't actually realize how much I'm eating. Force yourself to pick what you want and put it on a plate... and try not to go back for seconds. Don't forget about the fruits and veggies option that fill you up and keep you fuller longer. *Also when I was little I used to say "one for each hand" meaning that I wanted two of something............ don't do that.

3. If drinking, opt for lower calorie drink options. If choosing hard liquor to drink, try mixing it with a Crystal Light drink mix (my favorite is the raspberry lemonade) or Mio. If you want something fizzy, watch out for tonic, it's packed full of sugar. Opt for club soda with a squeeze of lemon or lime instead. If beer is more your thing, Michelob Ultra and Miller Lite only have 3 Weight Watcher PointsPlus and Bud Light has 4. Most craft beers are 5 or 6 points. If you prefer wine, try SkinnyGirl's wines -- only 100 calories per 5oz!

4. Have a snack before you leave for a party. One day my boyfriend looked at me funny because I was eating an apple before we went out to eat. I know, kinda weird... but... if you eat an apple or a small salad with low-calorie dressing before you go to a party or event, you're much less likely to pig out on appetizer/bread/your meal/the entire dessert menu. And hey, an apple usually ranges from 50-80 calories but is packed full of fiber! My favorite apples are Gala and Fuji apples. Sweet but they don't get mealy like Red Delicious.

5. Squeeze a workout in so you won't have to squeeze into your clothes. Plan to workout during the day of a party or a big dinner so that you can nibble a little more in the evening. Plus, you might even be more resistent to putting junk food in your body after you worked out so hard!

*Bonus* Plan what you're eating before you eat it. For me, I enjoy tracking my meals in the morning so I know how many WW Points I have used up during the day and how many extra points I have for snacking. If you plan out your meal beforehand, you might just be less tempted to stray from what you've written down!

Well... that's all I have for now. I hope you can take these tips and apply them to your life. Being healthy doesn't have to start after the holidays. Take all things in moderation except for the time you're spending with your family :) Have a great Monday!

No comments:

Post a Comment